Monday, October 14, 2013

Convo on the playground: kiss me, marry me...


So I'm lying in bed this nice evening and I can hear whispers between Super 4+ and his friends (a couple of 5-year-old girls), coming through my window straight from the playground. Something doesn't sound right; the shrill pleas and then some hush tones... and so I wait... But I still can't make out their words! "Super 4+!!! Come here" I call out. A few minutes later, he's here and I try to probe in the subtlest of ways. "Are you okay out there?" "Yes mama, we were just playing". "So what was that you all were talking about?" And then I hear "mama she was just saying someone wants to marry me and someone wants to kiss me and stuff like that". 



OMG! is all I can think. And so I asked if he liked what she said and he said no and so I asked why he stayed on to listen. "Did you let her kiss you?" "NO! I was just saying ewww" was his response. "Well then, next time you don't like what someone says or does, you can come in and play with your legos or do something else, just don't stay there and do nothing. Ok honey?" "Yes mama". I keep my cool through it all as usual. Super 4+ is extremely open with me about everything because of this and I want to keep him talking so I can guide accordingly.

This is the first of a many conversations we are going to have about this...

My strategy? Manage my reactions when he tells me things that are somewhat alarming, just so I don't shut him off. Then, say a few words that convey my opinion. Go back and think about it again, and then have further conversations with him where I reinforce my points and give further guidance.

Now over to you, what would your conversation sound like? 


This is MY period of thinking about it again. Hmmm…
 

No comments: