Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Halloween! To indulge or not to indulge?


"Mama, what does halloween mean?" Has your little one ever asked you this question? Actually my answer is No, not just yet but I am sure a number of parents have had to deal with this somewhat tough question at one time or another as their children became more inquisitive.

So what do we even know about halloween besides the famous "trick or treat" and all the spookiness that seems to be embraced and celebrated during this "holiday"? I'm not one for ignorantly going with the crowd; I think I should be fully aware of anything I celebrate let alone get my children involved in and if I am unable to fully grasp it then I'd just have to pass.


Halloween has over the years been embraced into almost all circles; schools, work places, neighborhoods and even our homes. It seems perfectly normal because everyone is celebrating it but hang on, how can something that out rightly portrays evil, ghosts and even blood shed be perfectly normal and even called fun? No matter how harmless it has been painted to look, you may want to take a deeper look.

I found the following write up very educative and informative. Obviously the writer had done most of the research for me in terms of the history of halloween and whether you believe in Christ and Christianity like I do or not, it's worth stepping back and questioning if you really want to be celebrating such fear and darkness. Now you be the judge of that!

Here goes: http://www.cbn.com/spirituallife/onlinediscipleship/halloween/halloween_watt05.aspx

Bottom line for me, if you don't believe in witchcraft then you should tread with caution or like me, not tread at all. And when your child does ask, be sure to explain to them exactly what it is you stand for. What do you think?

No comments: